Monday, December 19, 2011

Beauty Tip of the day: Mascara Hygiene

Things you should know about mascara


I've been using make-up for years and years, and I still feel like I learn new things about it all the time.  Which is a good thing, considering I love useless and useful facts all the same.


Here are some things I learned and thought I would pass along the information, juuust in case you didn't know:


1.  If your mascara starts to smell funky, or it's been 6 months, throw out your mascara.
If it smells bad, it's probably ridden with bacteria, so throw it out girl!  I don't care how expensive it was, the last thing you want is bacteria near your eye and on your eyelashes.  No bueno.  Also, if you've had it for about 6 months, throw it out and get a new one.  Experts tell us that 6 months is around the time the mascara will start to have a lot of bacteria, hence the expiration date. 


2. After you're done using your mascara, make sure you cap the mascara tightly.
Capping your mascara lid tightly will ensure that your mascara doesn't dry up too quickly.  Plus we know that if it dries out, it doesn't go on as smoothly and you'll get clumpy, spider eyelashes.


3. Do not pump your mascara to get out more product!
Pumping your mascara is no good, only because when you pump the wand, it introduces more air into the mascara container, which again, will lead to drying it out.  You do not want this, especially for your more expensive mascaras that you want to last you as close to that 6 month mark as possible!  I was guilty of doing this, but now try not to do that because I love my mascara and want it to last as long as possible.


Here were just three easy tips to follow to keep your mascara use hygienic and to minimize drying out of your product!


If you have any other tips, feel free to let me know!! 

2 comments:

  1. I always scrape the excess mascara on my wand around the rim of the tube. I've heard that you shouldn't since it drags in back into the bottle. It's a bad habit to break =X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip! That is true, it's hard not to when you get that large clump at the end. Thanks for sharing that one! And it's ok, now that you know, it's a matter of just reminding yourself. :) Sounds like you're pretty hygienic already!

    ReplyDelete