Monday, December 19, 2011

Are skincare products bad for your health?

Do you know what's in your skin care and make-up products??






I think it's really important to be a savvy, informed consumer.   I know that I've personally been moving away from using cosmetics that contain preservatives and additives that aren't good for the environment or your skin.  But do you REALLY know what's in all of your skin care and make-up products??  


I went on the EWG (Environmental Working Group) Skindeep website.  It's a database that contains information on the safety of cosmetics.  You can look up your cosmetics and see what the potential health hazards are.  If you can't locate your product, you can click on the top link and "Build your own report."  You enter in all the ingredients of your products and voila, you can read your scary report about the hazardous stuff you've been using on your face and body!  


Check out their website and prepare to get educated/scared:  http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

In all seriousness, it's good to know what you're using and what the potential cumulative, long-term effects may be.  I mean, I try to only buy organic eggs, fruits and veggies, but if the stuff I put on my face and body are chock full of chemicals, what's the point in going organic at all?


Here's a good video that explains about chemicals in cosmetics by "The Story of Stuff."  It's in cartoon format so it's easy to watch, but also really informative: 


Stay tuned...soon I'll be reviewing skin care products that received low hazardous-to-your-health scores and let you know if any of these products actually work well and don't cause break outs.


Green beauty, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog through Anabel :) I would love to read to read a post about your daily skincare routine because it sounds like we have a similar skintype. I would really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn!

    I would definitely like to do that. Right now, I'm in the midst of changing up my skincare routine to update it and get rid of the stuff with high hazard scores. This will take some time...but I will definitely post very soon about what I'm using right now! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete