Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tarte LipSurgence Lip Luster-Green and Pretty

I bought the Tarte LipSurgence Lip Luster in BUFF for $24 at Sephora, hoping to find a greener lip product that actually moisturizes (I’m talking to you Burt’s Bees lip gloss-didn't hydrate for me). To my surprise, it scored a 3 on the EWG Skin Deep site, which was a little higher than what I would hope for in a more natural lip product (but even the Ilia Tinted Lip Conditioner got a score of a 3, which I love too much to give up). I'd say that anything a 4 and under I'm willing to use--you have to decide which hazard scores you're willing to live with and be a savvy consumer. Despite the score, I like the Lip Luster--it’s a cross between a lip balm and a lipstick with some shimmer. Also provides a minty, cooling feeling when applied. It’s a bit hydrating and I personally love the “Buff” color—it’s a warm, neutral pink color with a touch of shimmer so it looks natural on you, with just a hint of something extra. I used to have a MAC lipstick that did this for me, but since I’ve been slowly switching everything over, it had to go. I did notice that it’s a bit more shimmery in the sunlight, so if you’re looking for something less shimmery outdoors, this lip luster may not be right for you. Looks like a giant lip pencil but has a twist up bottom that allows you to advance the product as you use it. Now that I've tried and like LipSurgence, I may have to purchase them in other colors!

Pros:
-fairly hydrating
-comes in a twist-up crayon form
-contains less chemicals than your usual lipsticks
-color enhances lip color and adds some shimmer

Cons:
-scores 3 on EWG Skin Deep
-$24


EWG Skin Deep Score: 3

Click here to read the EWG Skin Deep report.

No comments:

Post a Comment