Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Josie Maran Mascara- Gogo Instant Natural Volume

I've been on a hunt for natural mascara.  This is really tough because I love my Loreal Telescopic mascara, but alas, I'm slowly transitioning all my makeup to healthier, cleaner makeup.  I'm still testing them out, one by one.  This is my first stab at green mascara. 




I searched green blogs and other sites to find the best, natural mascaras that lengthen and provide volume. After my research, I decided to start with this one, also because it goes to a good cause.  For every one mascara purchased, she donates one to a cancer patient/survivor at City of Hope.  I love what she's doing and how clean her products are, but I just didn't love this mascara. 

I always start with the Tarte multiplEYE Lash Enhancing Primer (I'll do a review on this one soon).  Typically, I combine this with my Telescopic mascara and *BAM* my eyelashes are long and voluminous.  I've been using the Josie Maran Gogo mascara and I notice two things: first, it dries out way too quickly and second, it doesn't do much in terms of eyelash length.  While it does provide some volume, it pales in comparison to my Telescopic.

Drying out to quickly isn't good because you're not able to apply multiple coats of mascara without putting the wand back into the container to grab more mascara.  In order for me to get any definition, I have to put the wand back two or three times per eye. With the Telescopic, I don't put the wand back to get more mascara because there's enough on the wand for both eyes. Maybe this is because there are so many chemicals in the Telescopic?  Not sure, but why do chemicals have to make my eyelashes look so long?? It's not fair.

I'm back to trying out other mascaras until I find the best green one. Stay tuned!

Pros:
-less chemicals than other mascaras
-purchase of mascara goes to a good cause

Cons:
-doesn't provide dramatic eyelash length like my chemical-y drug store brand
-requires multiple coats involving re-dipping the wand back into the container
-scores a 4 on the EWG Skin Deep website
-the second ingredient scores at a whopping 7 on the EWG Skin Deep website

EWG Skin Deep Hazard Score: 4

Click here to read the full report.

*Surprisingly, both Telescopic and Gogo mascaras got the same hazard score (due to different ingredients).  Sometimes "natural" doesn't always mean what you think it does, so it's important to be a savvy consumer and do your research before you make a purchase.  Guess this is going back and on to the next one!


No comments:

Post a Comment