Friday, February 21, 2014

lLIA Tinted Lip Conditioner - Perfect stepping stone to RED lips!

Today's review is on the beloved Ilia Tinted Lip Conditioner in Bang Bang (um, I know the name isn't the best). I've been eyeing this guy for many reasons:

1. Ilia is a brand that is loved by the green beauty community and I've been itching to try their products.

2. I haven't been able to get away with wearing bright red lipstick without looking like a streetwalker! It looks so good on everyone else, I decided not to give up on this dream.  It's a stepping stone into bright lipsticks since it's a tinted lip conditioner and the color is buildable.

3. It's their best selling RED lip color.


I sought out a store that carries Ilia (Blossom Lounge) when I was in Toronto so I could actually see the lip conditioners in person. My initial thought was "WHOA, this is way too bright and will not look good on me." I gave it a try, and it was lighter than I expected--it comes out more sheer and you can build up the intensity based on how much you put on. In my case, I just needed one swipe and PRESTO, a step down from bright red lips! It comes out a nice, muted bright red color (if that makes sense), without the intensity of a bold, red lipstick. When I asked the sales associate if the color was too bright, she said "You're kidding, right? It looks REALLY nice on you!" I know she could have been trying to make a sale, but she sounded genuine and I wanted to believe her. :) I got the approval from the bf too, so off it went in my shopping cart! I also purchased two Alima products (a loose powder concealer and a loose powder eye shadow in Ombra) that I will be reviewing in the next few weeks.

I can see why it's so popular now…I've worn it several times and I still like it!  I've had to ask several others if the sales associate was just being nice, but it turns out that other people like it too. It won't provide a crazy amount of hydration, but just enough. I would recommend wearing a lip balm underneath if your lips tend to be dry, like mine. Color does last a while, and it's just a lovely shade of almost red.

Pros:
-allows you to dip your big toe into the pool of red lipsticks
-can build desired shade based on layers applied
-provides light conditioning
-majority of ingredients are certified organic

Cons:
-pricey at $26 a pop
-doesn't provide a lot of hydration
-scores a 3 on the EWG Skin Deep hazard scale (I wish it was a 1 or 2, but 3 is ooook)

EWG Skin Deep Score: 3

Click here to read the EWG Skin Deep Report.

No comments:

Post a Comment