Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Graduation from the Kiddie Pool--True Red Lipstick (but it's Green)

I wrote a post a few months ago about dipping my toe into the red lipstick pool by starting off with Ilia Tinted Lip Conditioner….then a month later, I decide to take the plunge and hang with the people in the grown-up pool by trying REAL red lipstick. I love it. Sounds sarcastic, but I'm being completely serious.

It started at Sephora. I only wanted to look at Bite Beauty because it's formulated without all the junk that I'm trying to avoid (parabens, phthalates, sulfates, synthetic dyes, synthetic fragrances and petrochemicals) and made with food grade ingredients that are supposedly edible. I think this is important because, let's face it--if you wear lipstick, you will inevitably eat a little bit of it. If that's the case, you may as well purchase one that's safe enough for consumption.

As I perused, their many shades of red, the saleswoman helped me decide on trying Bite Beauty's Lush Lip Tint in Cherry. I instantly liked it--it was the first time I found myself thinking I could actually pull off wearing a bold lip color. It's a bright, light red color that's surprisingly hydrating. It contains argan oil and fruit butters, but the best part is the white "B" in the center of the lip tint--it contains Resveratrol, the same antioxidant found in red wine.

Of course a few days later, I wanted a BOLDER red lip…maybe something a bit darker. Since I'm a bit tan, I knew I had to look for a red with a blue undertone (opposed to an orange one), as reds with a blue undertone tend to be flattering on any skin type (yep, found this out researching red lipstick). I found exactly what I was looking for in their High Pigment Pencil in Tannin, described as a "deep, poppy red." And when I combine the Tannin with the Cherry Lip Tint? A unicorn appears! It's the best color combination and it actually makes you feel more bold. I've gotten so many compliments on it from both men and women, it's been really difficult not to wear more often. Seriously, if a man notices and compliments a lip color, it's gotta be decent.



If you're hesitating on trying a bold red, I say DO IT--go to Sephora and take someone with you who will give you an honest opinion.

**I did want to mention one strange thing I noticed with wearing red lipstick--when combined with my Dr. Bronner's lip balm, I got a strange allergic reaction that resulted in incurable dry lips for a week. My lips felt like sandpaper yet felt very sensitive. I was initially depressed because I loved my new red lipsticks and thought I was just allergic to them. I decided to give it another go with a different lip balm by chance, and I was fine. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I tried the red lipstick again with Dr. Bronner's lip balm and got the same allergic reaction. This may not happen to you, but user be ware.


Score Card from EWG Skin Deep (click on the name of the product to see the report):


Bite Beauty Lush Lip Tint in Cherry: 3

Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil in Tannin: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment