Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sick of Plastic Water Bottles? Try a Glass One

When trying to go "green," I found one of the hardest things for me to give up was plastic water bottles. They're so convenient, portable, light. I would force myself to forget that if it's left in your car for an afternoon, it's no longer drinkable, for fear of plastic leaching into your life source. One day, I saw my sister with a pretty, glass water bottle with a silicon sleeve and I wanted, no, NEEDED to try one for myself.

I did my research and decided to buy a Life Factory water bottle. The mouth of the bottle is wider than the standard glass water bottles, which I like for ease of washing.

I've had my Life Factory 22 oz. glass water bottle for over 6 months, and I love it. No more being scared of drinking water that's left out in the heat, no more fear of drinking water with some plastic leached into it, no more contributing to plastic waste. All things to feel good about.

**Edit: I did want to mention why I prefer Life Factory over other cuter water bottles with smaller mouthpieces/openings/whatever you want to call the piece that's covered by the top: it's much wider than most other brands. I like this because it makes it easier to clean. If you purchase one that's smaller, you have to buy a baby-bottle-cleaner-device to get inside the bottle to clean it. To me, this is a hassle, so I stick with my beloved Life Factory.

There are, however, some cons with a glass water bottle:

1. It is glass, so it's considerably heavier than a plastic water bottle. When my 22oz. water bottle is filled up, it's a mini weight.

2. It's glass, so it's also easier to break. There is a silicon sleeve surrounding the bottle, except on the mouth of the bottle. I've gone through two different glass water bottles due to me breaking the glass on the mouth of the bottles. I've learned to be VERY careful when I wash my bottle and take great care when pulling my water bottle out of the dishwasher. Both times I broke the glass on my water bottles, it was from taking the bottle out of my dishwasher and it brushing up against a ceramic dish. DOH.

3. It's not cheap. It runs about $20 for a 22oz. bottle.


Click on the bottle and it'll take you to the site on Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment