Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Non-acid skin care regimen week 3



So....it's been about three weeks since I've gotten to use my beloved Retinol (Cosmedix's Define) treatment and I wanted to post about what's been going on with my skin.

First, let me state that my skin care philosophy has always been "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," for other people.  But being as how I am a skin care junkie myself, this adage was always really hard for me to stick with.  When I would notice something working, I'd stumble upon a forum where everyone is raving about a new product, so of course, I would have to check this puppy out myself.  Then I would try it, and it would either break me out, or it wouldn't do anything special to justify the price, so it would get returned.  Once in a while, I would find something I loved, and then I would be ALL about that product and try out more things in that product line.
Enter Cosmedix.

The minute I started using Cosmedix Define, I could see a difference in my complexion:  less breakouts and it just looked nicer in the mornings after I would use it at night.  I used this product for about 1.5 years before I stumbled upon the "non-acid based skin care system" 302.  
It was really REALLY hard for me to give up using my Define, but I had to.  I had to be off using any acid-based product for about 1-2 weeks before giving this non-acid line a try.  I crossed my fingers and took the plunge.


 
The first week I went without my Define,  my skin actually felt a little drier, but no new massive breakouts, so I was happy.

Week 2:  I started using the 302 Sensitive Skin Cleanser (PM) and the Face and Body Bar (AM).  Followed by Calming Mist and the Ointment.   My skin was super dry the first week, and even on some days now.  I read that weaning your skin off of acids can cause dryness, irritation and/or breakouts (eeeeek).  My skin was super dry for the first few days....but it didn't get crazy oily.  Normally, if my skin is dehydrated, it produces more oil to counteract the dryness, but not with this stuff.....iiiiiinteresting.  

Week 3:  I decided to try using some oil to hydrate my skin (Moisture Drops--consists of jojoba oil and avocado oil).  When ever I try something new, I limit the test area to only one area of my face--in this case, my forehead.  Turns out, my forehead didn't like this product so much, so I stopped using this after a few days.  I started breaking out, so that's out!!!! I also started using their Serum, which I like so far.  No new breakouts, and it actually seems to get rid of any existing breakouts/calms my skin.  We'll see what happens in the months to come--apparently it takes a good 3-6 months to really see results. :( Not good for the impatient skin care gal like me, but I'm trying!




The only down side to this program (which I guess could also be a good side?), is that they're really against  using any form of liquid sunscreen on your face unless you know you'll be in the sun for a long period of time.  They believe putting on topical sunscreens will clog your pores, so they advocate using mineral powders as your sole form of SPF.  They do sell their own liquid face formulations for those who will be spending lots of time in the sun, but I haven't read rave reviews about them.  This is a down side for me because I've been using SPF topically for the past 8 years, I hate getting tan, and I want sun protection that doesn't involve wearing face makeup!  But, having said that, I'm going to try the mineral makeup thing and hope that doesn't clog me.  I'll keep you posted. :)

EDIT from 3/4/14: I'll be posting an update on my non-acid skin care regimen in the next few weeks. I've been continuing on the non-acid skin care regimen for over two years with really good results! Stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment